Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Quick Oscar Reax

I promise a more detailed reaction later, when it's not 1 o'clock in the morning on a school night, but I wanted to jot down a few of my reactions to the Oscar ceremony.

1. Was Hugh Jackman even there? He kept vanishing for long stretches, and when he finally popped again near the end, all I could think was "Hey, where's Cyclops?"

2. The musical numbers were...interesting. Not in a good way. I was compelled to watch them the same way I'm compelled to look at a car accident.

3. Who thought performing ABBA with a drumline would be a good idea? Who was it? Who? I want names! Heavy percussion and Swedish pop mix like peanut butter and mucus.

4. The best speech of the night goes to the Japanese guy who ended by saying "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto."

5. My spell-check things "arigato" should be changed to "rigatoni." Not Oscar-related, but more amusing than most of last night's jokes.

6. OK, Philip Seymour Hoffmann, who dared you to dress up like a disheveled rabbi, and what did you get out of it?

7. "Slumdog Millionaire" proves, once again, that even the smallest movie has a shot at the biggest award, providing all its competition are either 1) boring or 2) terrible.

8. For the love of God, get Steve Martin back as the host!

No comments: