Monday, January 19, 2009

The Art of Comedy

People sometimes ask me, "Will, how can you be so funny?" Well, that don't actually ask me that, because I'm not actually that funny. But if they did, here's what I would tell them.

"Humor is nothing more than a very refined state of recognition, an extreme self-awareness. Because what is laughter, really, than a knowing acknowledgment of the unusual, the unique, the bizarre? We do not laugh at something because it is funny. It is funny because we laugh at it. It is a cycle; we recognize something as humorous, and therefore make it humorous for others.

Also, humor is a street sign that says 'Booger Branch.' Now that's comedy."

1 comment:

Benstrider said...

I still like Burning Tree Drive in Chapel Hill. Then again, my father works not too far from Lizard Lick Road.