Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'll Just End Up Jogging in the Cold November Rain

DC, in most respects, cannot compare to New York City. The district has blander architecture, less varied cuisine, and a much, much duller nightlife.* Yes, DC has its monuments, but I imagine maost people would swap a dozen Robert A. Taft Memorials for a five-minute stroll along the Brooklyn Bridge.

Yet DC has one advantage. I was out running this afternoon and got caught in a creeping rainstorm. A creeping rainstorm, unlike a squall, comes upon you drop by drop rather than in a single all-swamping deluge.

Anyway, as I jogged back to the dorm, I realized that DC is mercifully free from New York's obnoxious umbrella vendors. These are men with a built-in Doppler radar who materialize on street corners moments after the first drop of rain touches pavement. They are literally everywhere. And when I say "literally" I mean it. You can't walk five feet without somebody trying to sell you a $20 umbrella, one most likely held together with a liberal application of Elmer's.

No, in Washington there are no umbrella men. Sure, you get wet, but everything has its costs.

*Not that I, the man typing this at home in his pajamas, would know

No comments: