Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Five for Reading

For those readers who feel compelled to pile more books on their Everest-esque to-read pile, this website will be either a godsend or a curse. Most likely both. Each day, it recommends five "must-read" books in a specific field, with a unifying theme for each week. Last week it was books on diplomacy; this week the theme is "mad world." Which, apparently, includes a discussion of the five essential books about libertarianism.

If I had to pick a specific field and five books to fill it, what would I choose? Hmmm...I'm not really good at anything, and I don't really know anything either, so I start at a disadvantage. I know! I wrote my senior thesis on Fulton J. Sheen. Without further ado, I give you the five best books on the electric preacher.

"America's Bishop," by Thomas Reeves--An excellent (and very readable) biography of Sheen, following Sheen from his obscure Illinois hometown of El Paso through his vibrant media career in New York City.

"Bishop Fulton J. Sheen," by Kathleen Riley--A more scholarly book, one that puts Sheen in context as an important Catholic thinker. The cover features a truly fantastic photograph of Sheen, in which he seems to be using his bulging bug-eyes in an attempt to hypnotize the photographer.

"The Passion of Fulton Sheen," by D.P. Noonan--Not really a good book, and packed with plenty of scurrilous rumor, but hey--it's hard finding five books on an undeservedly forgotten Catholic media maven.

"The Fulton Sheen Story," by James Conniff--I'm really reaching now. "The Fulton Sheen Story" is more picture book than biography. However, the reader will be pleased to learn that Fulton Sheen enjoys a spirited round of tennis each day.

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," by J.K. Rowling--So I ran out of Sheen-related books. Sue me.

No comments: