Sunday, December 7, 2008

Madness Madness Madness

Fittingly, this crazy election season was capped by the most ludicrous result of all: a Vietnamese-American Republican businessman defeats a Democratic incumbent (!) in New Orleans (!!) in a majority black district (!!!!!!!!) If you had predicted that just a few weeks ago, I have some friends in Las Vegas who are very interesting in talking to you.

Is this the start of a new trend? Are the Democrats losing their control over minority-majority districts? Are African-Americans starting to move towards the GOP?

Uh, no. Bill Jefferson lost because 1) he was massively corrupt and 2) the turnout was unbelievably low. While I don't want to rain on Joseph Cao's victory parade, I advise him to enjoy his incredible victory while he can. He is the very definition of a one-termer.

If Cao is re-elected in 2010, I will go out, buy the nicest hat I can find, and eat it. You can hold me to that.

No comments: