Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The NBA Finals

I really wish I could bring myself to care about the NBA Finals. I really, really wish I could. It should be easy! This, after all, was the first year I tried following professional basketball. Lo and behold, it turns out to be the best NBA season in nearly a decade. A thrilling race for MVP, a bitter struggle in the Western Conference...and now, to top it off, the renewal of a class rivalry. It's Celtics vs. Lakers, Will! The old legends are walking!

Maybe that's why I can't get very enthusiastic. I'm afraid I've OD'd on myth. It's like if Ohio State and Michigan played each other for the BCS championship, or if Duke and UNC squared off in the Final Four. On paper, it should be thrilling. But the hype just swallows up the product. It's not a game anymore. It's a LEGENDARY RIVALRY. Screw those other 28 teams! Don't they know the only things that matter are the Green & Gold?

It doesn't help that neither team is particularly appealing. LA has maybe the best player in basketball. But as brilliant as Kobe is, he's also frustrating and downright obnoxious at times. Boston, meanwhile, is a mercenary team. 2/3 of the Big Three are playing their first season with the Leprechauns! And they call this history?

Hmm...this is somewhat more bitter than I meant it to be. I don't hate that Kobe that much. I don't dislike the Big Three, and I've got nothing big against Boston & L.A. But I don't see anything big in their favor, either. Maybe I'll reconsider this post down the road...we'll see.

No comments: