Monday, September 27, 2010

Weather or Not

God has smiled on Princeton for the past three weeks. New Jersey weather is not known for...anything, really, aside from being gray and drab. Yet for twenty-odd days, we've enjoyed a bumper crop of sunshine and warm weather. I expected to spend my first month here swaddled in protective layers of cotton and down. Instead, I can walk down to the library wearing a t-shirt.*

Today, things changed. Today, winter came to Princeton. Not real winter weather, with cold and snow and frostbite, but the idea of winter. A foggy gray drizzle fell from morning until night. I kept waiting for the clouds to open and for the sun to dissipate the gloom, but it seems the summer sun is now stone-dead. So much for t-shirts. Time to break out the parkas, the scarves, the gloves, the beanie with the Carolina logo.

I feel a little anxious. It'll be the first time I've faced a "real winter" in a decade. Has North Carolina made me soft? Probably. Making it to mid-December without suffering hypothermia would be a moral victory.

*And pants. Most days.

No comments: