Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Tintinnabulation of the Bells, Bells, Bells

The Graduate College's high point--in a literal sense--is Cleveland Tower, named for Princeton alum Cleveland Brown. Er, Grover Cleveland. Most days it does nothing but stand there and look picturesque. Today was different.

I was sitting at my computer, hard at work watching YouTube. Then--BLONG! KA-BLONG! BONG-KA-BLONG-BLONG! My first reaction was to duck and cover. I thought we were under attack by an angry marching band.

After a few seconds, when I realized I was not, in fact, dead, I removed my head from the trash can, where I had shoved it in case of danger. Soon I realized the source of the blonging and ka-bonging. Cleveland Tower houses, not only one of the finest collections of bats on the east coast, but also a carillon.

What, you ask, is a carillon? According to Wikipedia, it is "a British-based construction-services business headquartered in Wolverhampton." Oops, sorry, that's "carillion." A carillon is a big bunch of bells played via keyboard. Of all the instruments, only the theremin and bass drum are less relaxing.

I had no idea what song the carillon was playing. It might have been a beautiful passage of baroque music. It might also have been "Bad Romance." All I know is that it sounded creepy. I kept glancing out my window, expecting to see Nosferatu tapping on the panes.

And that's the story of my day. The end.

No comments: